Recyclables Accepted

Please do not drop off material when the facility is closed.

Only dispose of items in the correct, designated bin or container.

Do not leave unaccepted items on the ground, outside of bins, or at any other location at the facility.

Styrofoam is NOT accepted at any recycling location. 


What can I bring to the McIntire Road Recycling Center?

The McIntire Road Recycling Center accepts various items for recycling. Bins are set up for specific items. If you have questions about where to deposit something, there are recycling attendants available who will be happy to assist you. Or call us at (434) 977-2976.

Please click the images below for a list of items accepted and not accepted in each bin.

Aluminum Beverage Cans

Corrugated Cardboard

Mixed Paper

Plastic Film

#1 Plastic

#2 Plastic

Office Paper



Mixed Metals











































Books are also accepted: Please bring books, that are in good condition, to the Book Exchange Bin.

  • We cannot accept water damaged or moldy books. If you have water damaged books, they can be recycled in the mixed paper bin.


What can I bring to the Ivy Material Utilization Center?

  • Glass Food & Beverage Containers
  • Mixed Paper (Brown Paper): Wrapping paper, packing paper, cereal boxes, and all non-corrugated cardboard
  • Mixed Metals 
    • Steel Cans: Fruit, vegetables, soup, pet food, etc.
    • Aluminum Cans: Beverage cans
  • Corrugated Cardboard: Cannot have waxy coating
  • Newsprint
  • Motor Oil
  • Antifreeze
  • Compostable Food Waste

Also collected, but not recycled: Paint Cans: Latex and Oil-Based Paints, 1 Gallon, 5 Gallon, Quarter Gallon Containers (must be in original paint cans).

What can I bring to the Paper Sort of Meade Ave?

  • Category 1: Mixed Brown Paper: This category includes brown and compressed paper which make up such items as cereal and tissue boxes, brown paper bags, and pet feed sacks (without the plastic liner).
  • Category 2: File Stock: This category includes junk mail, computer paper, legal paper, photocopied paper, and shredded paper; no magazines, no carbon paper, no newspapers and no brown paper are to be placed in with the file stock.
  • Category 3: Corrugated (Cardboard): This category includes only flattened shipping boxes. No other paper or strings should be placed in with this grade.
  • Category 4: Newspaper and Magazines: This category includes newspaper, magazines, and catalogs. Magazines include items such as newspaper inserts and “glossy” brochures.

Household Hazardous and Bulky Waste

HHW and Bulky Waste is only collected at the Ivy Material Utilization Center on specific dates in the spring and fall. Please see the Household Hazardous Waste page for upcoming dates, details, and restrictions.


For more recycling information, please read our Recycling FAQs

Styrofoam is NOT accepted at any recycling location.